Here we go.

29 September 2012

my church

Last Sunday was sublime.  Brittany called to see if I wanted to sit in the sun with her at the park.  Yes, obviously, to-do lists be damned.  After procuring some iced tea, we went to the Clinton Library/Junction Bridge area.  The weather was gorgeous.
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App


Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App


Little Rock is so cute from here:
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App


Facing east down the Arkansas River:
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App


Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App



After plenty of fresh air & sun, we decided to pop in on a friend's yard sale (On a Sunday?!), but they had already disassembled the whole thing.  As we were leaving that neighborhood, I noticed that David Family Kitchen on Broadway was open and nearly wrecked the car with excitement.  It's one of those places where you never know when they will reopen after being shut down for not paying taxes.  We immediately pulled over and got ourselves some chicken dinners to go.  It was really fun to bring ATM home this surprise:

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App


That evening, we attended the Reel Civil Rights Film Fest segment with  Olympic gold medalist Tommie Smith.  The turnout was dismal, which is disappointing, but, on the bright side, it was extremely intimate.  I really hope to see more people I know at these kinds of things though.



Look, Tommie Smith will never have to explain to me why he did what he did on the Olympics medal stand in 1968.  I get it.  However, he (and John Carlos) ended up striking fear in the hearts of everyone who was not ready for change.  Up until about 10-15 years ago, they hardly received any respect.  In fact, the men and their family's lives were threatened and they were practically unemployable for many years.  It essentially ruined their lives.  These men who repped the US in the'68  Olympics and actually won medals (gold and silver; and broke many records), were beyond shunned.  It's all pretty disgusting in my view.  Listening to Tommie retell the story is inspiring, but it's also very painful and even though I know some things, it turns out I don't know shit.  Despite the horrible backlash for this one incredibly meaningful silent gesture, he would do again, not because he wants to, but because he has to.  I really wish I had half his courage:

Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App
Tommie Smith and Juan Carlos also stepped up on the podium shoeless with black socks and wore beads to protest black poverty & lynchings.  Obviously, it was a thought out gesture and not spur-of-the moment.

Tommie w Craig Renaud:
Uploaded from the Photobucket iPhone App

I wonder what church will be like tomorrow.

No comments:

Blog Archive